Welcome to the MapForge site
MapForge is new mapping software from Battlegrounds Games. This low-cost and easy-to-use map-making software will focus on creating gorgeous hi-resolution tile-based tactical-scale battlemaps. The application is currently under development, and a record-breaking Kickstarter crowdfunding campaign secured the funding necessary for the many months of development required to create the software. MapForge is currently in Beta. MapForge v1.0 is expected to be released in February or March 2018. Fixing any bugs reported in the Beta Release is nearly all that remains to be done.
The program’s primary use will be the creation of tactical-scale battlemaps for use in RPGs, whether the maps will be printed for use in face-to-face game sessions, or will be used in any of a number of virtual tabletop programs (such as Roll20, Fantasy Grounds, etc).
A likely secondary use of the software would be to support the creation of gameboards for wargames, tabletop miniature games, and boardgames (e.g. Descent, Myth, etc.).
- MapForge is not a web app or online service. It is a downloadable application that you install on your computer.
- It is cross-platform, supporting both Windows OS and macOS.
- A free Demo is available so you can try out the software and evaluate its capabilities prior to purchase. A Beta Release is available for download from the Kickstarter project page.
- The software will offer a free level of use (only low-resolution output), but to get the most out of it, you’ll want a license, which will be available for a modest one-time fee of approximately $30 dollars.
- It will be completely ad-free, and the intent is to keep it that way (with the possible exception of gaming and content-related ads in the free Demo version).
- An extensive library of free and commercial Add-Ons for MapForge will be made available to further enrich your maps. Fifty (yes, 50!) content Add-Ons are being produced, and at least 48 of them will be made available when MapForge v1.0 debuts (the remaining two will follow shortly thereafter).
- Following the initial release of the software, it will be incrementally honed and improved over time, the featureset will be gradually expanded, and the software will be well supported.
If MapForge sounds interesting to you, please consider subscribing to the MapForge Newsletter so we can keep you apprised of important developments, such as the release of v1.0 or the announcement of new Add-Ons.