Welcome to the MapForge site
MapForge is new mapping software from Battlegrounds Games. This low-cost and easy-to-use map-making software will focus on creating gorgeous hi-resolution tile-based tactical-scale battlemaps. The application is currently under development, and a recent Kickstarter crowdfunding campaign secured the funding necessary for the months of development still needed to finish creating this program (and for close to a year of additional development!). MapForge has an estimated release date of late July or early August 2017.
The program’s primary use will be the creation of tactical-scale battlemaps for use in RPGs, whether the maps will be printed for use in face-to-face game sessions, or will be used in any of a number of virtual tabletop programs (such as Roll20, Fantasy Grounds, etc).
A likely secondary use of the software would be to support the creation of gameboards for wargames, tabletop miniature games, and boardgames.
- MapForge is not a web app or online service. It is a downloadable application that you install on your computer.
- It is cross-platform, supporting both Windows OS and macOS.
- A free Demo will be available in a few months so you can try out the software and evaluate its capabilities prior to purchase. A prototype is available for download from the Kickstarter project page.
- The software will offer a free level of use, but to get the most out of it, you’ll want a license, which will be available for a modest one-time fee (and will be even cheaper during the Kickstarter campaign!).
- It will be completely ad-free, and the intent is to keep it that way (with the possible exception of gaming and content-related ads in the free Demo version).
- An extensive library of free and commercial Add-Ons for MapForge will be made available to further enrich your maps.
- Following the initial release of the software, it will be incrementally honed and improved over time, the featureset will be gradually expanded, and the software will be well supported.
If MapForge sounds interesting to you, please consider subscribing to the MapForge Newsletter so we can keep you apprised of important developments, such as the release of v1.0 or the announcement of new Add-Ons.