Welcome to the MapForge site
MapForge is map-making software from Battlegrounds Games. It was initially funded by a then-record-breaking Kickstarter crowdfunding campaign in 2017. This low-cost and easy-to-use software originally focused on creating gorgeous top-down high-resolution tactical-scale battlemaps for use in tabletop RPGs, but was eventually expanded to also support the creation of hex-tile maps and isometric maps.
The maps that MapForge creates can either be printed out for use in face-to-face game sessions, or they can be used in any of a number of virtual tabletop programs (such as Roll20, Fantasy Grounds, Foundry VTT, etc).
Secondary uses of the software include the ability to customize Donjon-generated maps, or to use the app’s Build Tools to create such maps from scratch without requiring a Donjon TSV file at all.
- MapForge is not a web app or online service. It is a downloadable application that you install on your computer, and can be used offline, if need be.
- It is cross-platform, supporting both Windows OS and macOS.
- A free Demo is available so you can try out the software and evaluate its capabilities prior to purchase.
- The software offers a free level of use (only low-resolution output), but to get the most out of it, you’ll want a license, which is currently available for a modest one-time fee of $38 dollars (i.e., there is no recurring monthly/yearly subscription, as with several other map-making apps on the market).
- MapForge is ad-free, and the intent is to keep it that way (with the possible exception of gaming and content-related ads in the free Demo version).
- An extensive library of over 200 free and commercial content Add-Ons for MapForge are available, providing nearly 41000 mapping assets to further enrich your maps. These cover a variety of game genres, including Medieval/Fantasy, Modern Day, Sci-Fi, Post Apocalyptic, etc. Nearly 60 of these content Add-Ons can even be used to create maps that you can publish and/or use commercially!
- Over 50 content Add-Ons (containing over 7000 mapping assets) are free downloads, to start you off with a solid collection of mapping assets for various game genres. You can see a partial preview of these Add-Ons here.
- The software is being incrementally honed and improved over time, the featureset is gradually expanded, and the software’s users are well supported.
Please consider subscribing to the MapForge Newsletter so we can keep you apprised of important developments, such as the release of updates to the software, and the announcement of new content Add-Ons.
2023 Update: This site is now also home to the new TileForge software.