Welcome to the MapForge site
MapForge is new mapping software from Battlegrounds Games. This low-cost and easy-to-use map-making software focuses on creating gorgeous hi-resolution tile-based tactical-scale battlemaps. Version 1.0 of the application has just been released, after having been funded by a record-breaking Kickstarter crowdfunding campaign in 2017.
The program’s primary use is the creation of tactical-scale battlemaps for use in RPGs, whether the maps will be printed for use in face-to-face game sessions, or will be used in any of a number of virtual tabletop programs (such as Roll20, Fantasy Grounds, etc).
A likely secondary use of the software is to support the creation of gameboards for wargames, tabletop miniature games, and boardgames (e.g. Descent, Myth, etc.).
- MapForge is not a web app or online service. It is a downloadable application that you install on your computer.
- It is cross-platform, supporting both Windows OS and macOS.
- A free Demo is available so you can try out the software and evaluate its capabilities prior to purchase.
- The software offers a free level of use (only low-resolution output), but to get the most out of it, you’ll want a license, which is currently available for a modest one-time fee of $31 dollars (the price is expected to increase slightly when the app becomes more full-featured).
- MapForge is ad-free, and the intent is to keep it that way (with the possible exception of gaming and content-related ads in the free Demo version).
- An extensive library of free and commercial Add-Ons for MapForge are available to further enrich your maps. Over ninety (yes, 90!) content Add-Ons have been produced, and all of them are already available from the new MapForge Store.
- The software will be incrementally honed and improved over time, the featureset will be gradually expanded, and the users will be well supported.
Please consider subscribing to the MapForge Newsletter so we can keep you apprised of important developments, such as the release of updates to the software, or the announcement of new content Add-Ons.