Welcome to the MapForge site
MapForge is map-making software from Battlegrounds Games. It was funded by a record-breaking Kickstarter crowdfunding campaign in 2017. This low-cost and easy-to-use map-making software originally focused on creating gorgeous high-resolution tactical-scale battlemaps, but was eventually expanded to also support the creation of hex-tile maps and isometric maps.
The program’s primary use is the creation of top-down tactical-scale battlemaps for use in RPGs, whether the maps will be printed for use in face-to-face game sessions, or will be used in any of a number of virtual tabletop programs (such as Roll20, Fantasy Grounds, Foundry VTT, etc).
Secondary uses of the software include the ability to create hex-tile maps, isometric maps, to customize Donjon-generated maps, or to use the Build Tools to create such maps from scratch without requiring a Donjon TSV file at all.
- MapForge is not a web app or online service. It is a downloadable application that you install on your computer, and can be used offline, if need be.
- It is cross-platform, supporting both Windows OS and macOS.
- A free Demo is available so you can try out the software and evaluate its capabilities prior to purchase.
- The software offers a free level of use (only low-resolution output), but to get the most out of it, you’ll want a license, which is currently available for a modest one-time fee of $38 dollars (a one-time purchase).
- MapForge is ad-free, and the intent is to keep it that way (with the possible exception of gaming and content-related ads in the free Demo version).
- An extensive library of free and commercial Add-Ons for MapForge are available to further enrich your maps. Over a hundred and eighty (yes, 180!) content Add-Ons have been produced, and all of them are already available from the new MapForge Store. Nearly 50 of them are absolutely free!
- The software is being incrementally honed and improved over time, the featureset are gradually expanded, and the users are well supported.
Please consider subscribing to the MapForge Newsletter so we can keep you apprised of important developments, such as the release of updates to the software, or the announcement of new content Add-Ons.